Possible Allergic Reactions at the Dentist Office

Posted .

If you think you may have had an allergic reaction at the dentist office, no problem. We can work with that. The first thing to do is find out what exactly you are allergic to. Here are some possible dental allergies:

Latex is a component of disposable gloves, dental dams, syringes, and bandages and other dental supplies. Those allergic to it range from only 1-5% of the population, but that number jumps to 17% if you work in the medical field. The more exposure you’ve had to latex, the greater the odds of your body creating an allergy. Signs include hives, itching, a stuffy or a runny nose, wheezing, chest tightness, difficulty breathing, or skin problems, any of which manifest only minutes after contact.

Nickel is the most common metal allergy. Those with piercings develop it most easily. The allergy creates an itchy rash when in contact with the skin. Nickel is an ingredient in some types of tooth restorative materials and orthodontic appliances. However, the allergy tends to react more to skin contact. An allergic reaction to a dental appliance inside the mouth is very unusual.

Resins are pretty typical in many restorative and cosmetic dentistry materials, like composite fillings, sealants, bonding agents, crowns, and bridges. Symptoms usually happen a day or two after exposure. Symptoms include itching of the skin, a burning sensation, reddening, swelling, and lightheadedness.

If any of these descriptions fit, you’ll want to meet with an allergist or dermatologist for an allergy test. When you discover the allergy’s source, just tell Dr. Michael Hollingsworth and we use alternate supplies at your next visit. If you have any concerns, you can always call Dr. Michael Hollingsworth in St. Joseph, Missouri at 816.232.8788.